Re: Platinum Stuff

From: Jeffrey D. Mathias (jeffrey.d.mathias@worldnet.att.net)
Date: 05/29/01-07:22:24 PM Z

Sandy King wrote:
> I need some platinum for toning of POP and silver/iron prints. In the
> past I have used something called Platinum Solution #3, Platinum
> Chloroplatinite (spelling?). How does one prepare this solution from
> the metal itself, and is there any practical advantage to doing so?

I do not know what Platinum (Pt) is used for toning, nor do I know what
solution #3 is. But if you are referring to the Pt solution typically
used for platinotype, that would be K2PtCl4. The name can be something
like you indicate, but it can be called by other names as well, so best
to go by the chemical nomenclature.

To make this salt from platinum metal requires the use of aqua regia and
I seem to recall at elevated temperatures as well. Not the kind of
process to do outside of a professional lab. Another issue is that the
formation of K2PtCl6 is rather easy and it will contaminate the K2PtCl4
(the K2PtCl6 is not very soluble in water).

It might be best to get any of the precious metal salts (such as
K2PtCl4) from a specialty chemical supplier such as Engelhard (their
contact info is in the Vendor section in my guide from link below).
Regular chemical supply houses will not likely carry precious metal
salts. I know that JT Baker and Fisher, as suggested by Bob, do not.

And it will be cheeper to buy the K2PtCl4 as the production costs of a
company like Engelhard will be far, far less than yours.

--
Jeffrey D. Mathias
http://home.att.net/~jeffrey.d.mathias/