RE: Art Center Project - Appreciation Offers

From: ken watson (watsok@frii.com)
Date: 05/30/01-11:28:36 AM Z

I will consider a donation. But I must explain that Ambrotypes were mostly
3.5 x 2.25 inches in size. In the 1860's this was considered large as
photo's were more "personal".
I believe I have a 5 X 7, more or less test image, that is a reasonable
example of what the wet plate / Ambrotype process can do. If you look up the
definition of " ambrotype" you will see the image IS the original as there
is no negative so no reproduction is possible. It is really a very thin
negative itself, but looks to be a positive.

There were folks doing Wet Plate negatives and making albumen prints from
them in the 1860's. There were even a few guys in CA using mammoth cameras
( 18 X 22 inches) because the landscape demanded a large print to do it
justice. AND with contact printing, one needed a negative the size of the
finished print. After the Civil War these prints became very popular.

As for trading for PT/PD print I will let you decide equal value.

I do need an address to ship to.