titration & gold toning

From: Ellen Sigunick (sigunick@yahoo.com)
Date: 05/31/01-07:59:34 PM Z

Hi everyone!

I have two questions. First, I am wondering if anyone
has any suggestions in getting my 12% silver nitrate
solution back to 12%! I read one description which
uses nitric acid, it wasn't a full description,
though. If there is a place or person that I could
take the solution to (in NY), I would be happy to
avoid a process which I am most likely not equipped to
do safely. Any feedback would be great!

2nd question: I was going through the choices of gold
toning solutions (for toning albumen prints), and I
found a formula from Photographers Formulary which
claims not to alter the image color. What I would like
to do, is use one (non acidic) toner which will give
the print a cold purple tone, but only in areas of the
print. Then I would like to tone the whole print in
this non altering gold toner for overall print
stability. Does anyone know about this Gold toner (I
don't have the formula in front of me), and what do
you think about using one toner after the other? I
don't really understand how a gold toner could not
alter the color of an image, if it is in fact coating
and partially replacing the silver particles, which
would mean it is changing the size of the particle,
right??
What am I not understanding?
Thanks in advance for any insight!

I learn so much from this list!