Re: Re: large ink-jet printers

Ender100@aol.com
Date: 11/09/01-03:34:51 PM Z

Hi Joe,

what you say makes sense. Since digital images are limited to 256 shades , a
step wedge that includes 256 levels is going to have a posterized effect.
There is no way to get around this. But you can do a couple of things to
minimize the apparent effect.

1. If you are using a gradient in an image (adding it in), limit the length
of the gradient so that the bands are very thin and thus lest noticeble.

2. Use Gaussian Blur slightly to mask the effect.

3 Use a small amount of the Noise Filter to further dither the edges of the
gradient.

I do know that you can send 16 bit files to a printer using Cone's
Piezography system and with the use of quad blacks you should be able to
render more than 256 shades, however I am not sure that the Piezography RIP
allows this...it may just convert the 16 bit to 8 bit... I think I will ask
them about that.

Mark Nelson