Re: Zimmerman's gum process

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 11/09/01-08:43:17 PM Z

On Fri, 9 Nov 2001, Sandy King wrote:

> Actually not, at least not if you mix the dichromate with distilled
> water. Mixed with distilled water a dichromate solution will give
> identical sensitivity and contrast over a period of several years.

Eat your words, fella (it that sounds rude, I never said it) -- I've
tested it a couple of times (tho admittedly after a year, maybe more) and
each time found a considerable (approximately 25%) drop in speed. The way
I tested was to mix an emulsion with a new mix and one with the last of
the old at the same time, matching as closely as possible in all respects.
(But to think that you think I'd mix ammonium dichromate with TAP WATER --
even NYC tap water!! -- is a mortal wound.)

This leaves the possibility that things are different

a. with carbon
b. in S. Carolina
c. for the anointed ones
d. ........ whatever

Or, really stretching, looking for explanation, I let my bottle gradually
empty out. Maybe the bottle you tested was full? Or, no it's not possible
you merely *read* that, like, for instance in Kosar ????

Judy