Re: Zimmerman's gum process

From: Art Chakalis (achakali@gcfn.org)
Date: 11/11/01-10:44:52 AM Z

First, it was good of Dick to share the article which I can say I enjoyed
reading.

However, in addition to the printing speed there appears to be several
ideas that don't quite measure up with contremporary knowledge.

As to color . . .

On Fri, 9 Nov 2001, Katharine Thayer wrote:

> . . .
> His discussion of color printing seems surprisingly primitive, given
> that the practice of using filters to make color separations goes back
> several decades before his writing, although I'm not sure exactly when
> those ideas were first applied to gum printing. Seems like at least by
> 1900, but no doubt someone has the exact history at hand.
> Katharine Thayer

The color discussion is at the end of the paper. Though I agree with
Katherine's post, one aspect seemed interesting. Do the statements on
what I will call color saturation hold water? My interpretation is that
he indicates that replacing the black pigment in the 4th printing with a
mix of the three primary colors, to creat black, will enhance the
print's colors? Anyone with experience/comment?

Sincerely, Art

Art Chakalis
Columbus, Ohio, USA