RE: Zimmerman's gum process

From: Keith Gerling (kgerling@ameritech.net)
Date: 11/12/01-08:08:30 AM Z

Judy asks:
>"(I think Keith Gerling has been more successful with black layer than I
>was, however, maybe because he's a finer person, maybe because he knows
>how to make the right black neg digitally. Keith, are you there????)"

Even when I'm looking for a softer look, I always use black to some degree.
Without it, the print lacks "punch" (and I realize that a "punch-less" look
is exactly what draws many people to gum printing - but not me.) In many
instances, the black is of a "skeletal" nature, adding density only to the
deeper shadow areas. Arriving with the right pigment can be quite
problematic, as many of them are difficult to control: for me, lamp black
and sumi inks stain, Ivory black is too weak, etc., and because of this it
can be useful to use a mixture of other colors. But my purpose in mixing is
not so much an attempt to enhance the primaries, but to just get adequate
density. (I just received some Lunar Black from Daniel Smith, but I haven't
tried it yet). I treat black as any other color, and if it clears properly,
I don't see what it should be any more difficult to control.

Keith