Re: Zimmerman's gum process

FotoDave@aol.com
Date: 11/12/01-09:55:29 AM Z

In a message dated 11/11/01 11:50:02 AM Eastern Standard Time,
achakali@gcfn.org writes:

<< Do the statements on
 what I will call color saturation hold water? My interpretation is that
 he indicates that replacing the black pigment in the 4th printing with a
 mix of the three primary colors, to creat black, will enhance the
 print's colors? >>

Hi Art,

I have a slightly different interpretation. My interpretation is that he is
not indicating that the use of 3 primary colors to create black will enhace
the print colors, but rather the use of black layer (as opposed to 3-color
only) will enhance the print color. In the preceeding section he mentions
3-color work and also makes notes about color impurity. Then he describes
"his method" of using the black layer.

In his method, he uses a black layer (which he simply uses the mixture of the
3 primaries he has although he does mention that using a neutral tint is
possible). With the gray tones already taken care of by the black layer, the
color layers needs to handle only the color areas, so one can print the color
layers with higher contrast, and that will give a more saturated look.

Without going through color masking, this method will not give "accurate"
color compared to the original, but that is usually not the requirement
unless one is doing scientific work. The method will indeed give a
significant improvement in color saturation, however.

I think his method is found and described before color separation technique /
theory is well formulated. Looking back, his method is easy to explain
nowadays.

Dave S