Re: Those nasty photochemical laws, was Re: Zimmerman's gum process

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 11/12/01-07:08:07 PM Z

On Mon, 12 Nov 2001, Sandy King wrote:
> One obvious photochemical law that applies to gum printing is that
> the colloid we know as gum is most sensitive to radiation (and tans
> or hardens most) in a fairly narrow arrow band that appears to lie
> between 300-450 nanometers (and perhaps below 300 nanometers as well
> if we can use it). Regardless of other variables (how thick or thin

I think that "law" is as *loose* as the laws about taxes. I've made gums
by several sorts of bulbs & the particular spectrum of the bulb was NOT
overriding.

> you make the emulsion, or the pigment used, or the strength of the
> dichromate), it will be very difficult to make a gum print by
> exposing with a 50 watt bug-light. This law can be demonstrated

I suppose it would be equally difficult to make a gum print by 50 lights
of firefly, but don't think that's a very relevant "photo mechanical law."

J.