RE: Zimmerman's gum process

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 11/13/01-10:22:04 PM Z

On Mon, 12 Nov 2001, Keith Gerling wrote:
> By no means am I a Photoshop expert. However, I have noticed a tendency for
> Photoshop to favor black. Photoshop was developed with the needs of the
> printing-press people in mind, and black ink is cheaper. In any event,

This reminds me that I read somewhere that PS balance is arranged to
use the least ink possible because magazine-type papers will only hold so
much. The heavier black probably cuts total required.

> there are a myriad of ways in which you can control the quantity of black.
> In your "Color Settings", you should select the UCR button, and not the GCR
> (which I'm assuming is where you are seeing the "low black", although now
> that I check I see that it offers, for black
> none/light/medium/heavy/maximum, so maybe you are somewhere else?). Anyway,

I was doing this in Photoshop 4 ... I tried both UCR & GCR, also another
where you made yr own curve, then made VERY careful (for gum) tests
printing the seps. No correlation in the print to what was "programmed,"
or none I could see.

In any event, now I'm not using color seps but trying (between
catastrophes at home & abroad & next P-F) to make negs with desired
contrast by making negs with desired contrast...

> select UCR with black ink limit of 100% and Total ink limit of 400% for
> starts. Tweak these setting if you want even less black. If you want to
> make even more drastic changes, start increasing the dot gain figures. I
> guarantee that bigfoot will be tamed in short order.

So far I THINK best control is in curves -- higher contrast neg for black
neg... but this is NOT a separation per se, it's for serial differential
printing in whatever color(s).

Judy