Re: New York Skyline

From: Mark Kronquist (mak@teleport.com)
Date: 11/24/01-03:18:10 AM Z

You should be ashamed taking pictures of cities or airports in a time of
national crisis. The only photos we should take are ones that reflect our
true heritage and our country...happy news is the only news we should see.
Please take only pictures of kids, puppies and bunnies

by the way, your tripod on the mall or camera at the airport or skyline
might get in the way of the 18 year old guardsman (no disrespect intended
here) giving a TV interview showing enhanced security.

Perhaps it's time to carry the constitution (or is that subversive?)
in our Domkes?

BTW Customs has been off limits to pix and cell phones for years it's the
rest of the restrictions that bother me.

I was in NYC 9-11-12. I walked to within 6 blocks of the site and will not
forget the smell, the ash or the horror. I also captured one of the finest
images I have taken (with a Pentax 110) sad, depressing but real. A woman
who just found out her husband was a victim clutched a flag and collapsed
against a mailbox.

Of course by writing this I am sure to be reported to some security agency

What we capture is the emotion of the moment.

(I photographed the uprising in the Yucatan in 1992, in Russia in 1993 when
Yeltsen dissolved the duma, the unrest in Africa in 1994. Blows to body yes,
gear yes, timeless images yes.)

We cannot be afraid to capture what is happening around us.