Alt-photo Reminder

holtsg@duke.usask.ca
Date: 11/26/01-12:00:00 AM Z

Mon Nov 26 00:00:00 CST 2001

This is the weekly etiquette reminder for the
alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca mailing list.

There are four basic rules for using this list. Treat everyone with
respect. Don't send unsubscribe requests to the list, don't send
messages with attachments, and don't send viruses through the list

The first rule should be self-explanatory.

H O W T O U N S U B S C R I B E

Unsubscribe requests should NOT be send to the list address, they need to
be sent to a different email address.

To unsubscribe from this list send a message to the address:

        alt-photo-process-request@sask.usask.ca

with the message

        unsubscribe alt-photo-process-l

Please note the last letter of this command is the letter "el" not the
number "one".

If this does not work the mailserv program will reply with an error
message. If this happens please send me a note including the error
message and I will unsubscribe your address manually.

A T T A C H M E N T S

Don't send attachments through the list. If you have a newer email
program it may be sending all your email messages as attachments. If you
are using Netscape Communicator, Microsoft Outlook, or Outlook
Express, please check your email settings.

These and other email programs are set to send messages as two
attachments, one in plain text and one as html (also referred to as
formatted text.)

Unfortunately this format not readable to many of the participants of this
list. Attachments in general, including html (formatted text) are
difficult or impossible to read for many participants. Plain text is the
only universally accepted email standard.

Please change the settings of your email program so that it will send
only plain text messages to the alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca mailing list.

Information on how to changes these setting for some of the commonly used
email applications are at the following web sites:

Outlook Express 5
http://support.microsoft.com/support/ie/serviceware/exp50/ea04ppru3.asp

Outlook Express
http://support.microsoft.com/support/ie/serviceware/exp40/e9p38fzhh.asp

Netscape Communicator 4
http://help.netscape.com/kb/client/990102-2.html

Eudora Light
http://www.eudora.com/techsupport/kb/908hq.html

V I R U S E S

Many computer viruses are designed to be distributed by email. Viruses
have and will be distributed through this list. I can not prevent viruses
from being sent through the list. Its inevitable because of the number of
participants and volume of messages sent. I recommend that everyone
subscribed to this list use a good up to date virus protection system.
If your system has a good anti-virus system, you will net get viruses and
you will not spread viruses.

For more information see the following:

Windows/PC users see:
         http://www.zdnet.com/zdhelp/filters/pcprotection/
Mac users see:
        http://www.zdnet.com/zdhelp/stories/main/0,5594,2427832,00.html
Linux/Unix users see:
        http://www.zdnet.com/zdhelp/stories/main/0,5594,2428308,00.html

A R C H I V E S

An web-page based archive of all the list messages is at the address:

/lists/alt-photo-process

W E B M I R R O R

All messages sent to the list for the current month are automatically
converted to web pages at the address:

http://duke.usask.ca/~holtsg/photo/current

This message is automatically sent to all alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
subscribers every Monday.