Re: Dense or Density

From: Christina Z. Anderson (zphoto@montana.net)
Date: 11/26/01-01:46:22 PM Z

(btw the post I sent on this I sent a couple days ago and it just came
thru...i wonder why)
      Very true, Carl, and Brian Ellis agrees with you in our offline
correspondence on PMK. However, the original post dealt with a problem of
overdensity and long printing times, so I assume that his "mileage may vary"
situation may warrant checking into this idea as a possible problem, along
with the other good suggestions he has already received here before my post
came thru! And I mentioned it specifically because Herbst was addressing
the platinum issue with PMK.
     Also, it is probably misleading to call it "added base plus fog"
because, as Brian pointed out, the clear areas of his negs and the rebates
were still clear even when afterbathing. What I actually understood from
Herbst's lecture is that it added density to the whole neg where there was
some density already but not proportionally, so in essence you can have a
neg that has clear edges and yet has added, nonessential density which adds
printing time. But far be it from me to suggest I know anything about
platinum printing, not being my area of expertise. I just know PMK in
relation to silver printing.
Chris

> Christina,
>
> This is certainly a mileage-may-vary affair. I use the developer as
> afterbath with PMK. I don't get as nice a stain without it. I get
absolutely
> no increase in overall (fb+f) stain with it, even with high-fog films.
What
> improves with the afterbath--in my lab--is the color of the stain, more
> green and less yellow, which is exactly what I want. This is using
distilled
> water for stock solutions and my well water to dilute them to working
> strength.
>
> My strong impression is that no one's staining-developer results can be
> assumed to apply to anyone else working in a different lab, different
batch
> of chemicals/film/water and maybe moon phase. Perhaps I should bottle my
> Housatonic Aquifer well water and sell it as a magic tonic for pyro
> development...
>
> ---Carl

> >From: "Christina Z. Anderson" <zphoto@montana.net>
> >To: alt-photo-process-l@sask.usask.ca
> >Subject: Re: Dense or Density
> >Date: Sun, Nov 25, 2001, 7:05 PM
> >

> > Don't use the PMK spent developer afterbath as Hutchings recommends; Bob
> > Herbst says this only adds non proportional stain which amounts to base
plus
> > fog and longer platinum printing times. His article appeared in View
Camera