Re: That nasty stain, was double dipping

From: clay (wcharmon@wt.net)
Date: 11/29/01-08:20:58 PM Z

Jeff:

Judy is correct. The main thing is to find a way to correlate a negative
developed with your own process idiosyncrasies to your own particular print
processes. I use a black and white densitometer anyway, since stain has been
shown to be proportional to silver density. Then it's really just a matter
of a scale factor that is pretty easy to work out. Just plot the reflective
densities of your print process at a standard exposure time against the
transmission densities (blue channel, all channel, whatever - just be
consistent) of your own self developed, stained test wedge, and you have
your own custom curve that can then be used to adjust subsequent prints for
contrast and exposure. Highly recommend reading the Arentz book. Then
reading it again. Then thinking. The 'aha' light will come on.

After that, all the number stuff becomes just a shortcut to getting really
close with your first test print. Sometime after that, your eye will
probably be just as good.

Clay