Re: AW: Experience with 20X24 format

From: Burkhardt Kiegeland (burkhardt@einsundsein.org)
Date: 11/30/01-04:16:18 AM Z

Hello Wolfgang,

of course there is the way to rephotograph the big portraits using a digital
camera for putting them into the web, but they don´t will be the same then.
There is, as we all know, this tremendous difference between viewing an
original print and looking on a monitor.

In my understanding all pictures suffer heavily when presented by the media
like magazines, television screen, computer monitor. Of course we all are
used to that, but it provides a view which is crippled.

In the given case most which urged me to photograph using this extreme
format would get lost: the unique subtle shapness, the fine tonality, the
feeling of the paper´s smooth surface, in short, everything which together
with the people photographed makes the pictures so vivid.

I´ve been on the websites of a couple of members of this list enyoing their
work. But always I get just a fraction of the whole thing, most of the
sensuous part is missed - the computer monitor cannot present it. And this
sensuous part in my eyes gives all this alternative techniques their value.

So in the end you simply would ask the question: »Why this guy makes his
life so complicated? Wouldn´t he get the same with a digital camera?«
Or: »Why are people out there making old fashioned gum prints or Kallitypes
- it is much easier to fake them digitally...«

Just some thoughts in favour of viewing original prints...

Burkhardt Kiegeland