Re: POP choices

From: Manuel Gomes Teixeira (PunctumStudios@netc.pt)
Date: 09/02/01-06:26:26 PM Z

Hi Sandy,

Thanks for you and all others members for all the useful comments about BPF
in ABC+.

you wrote:

  "If you are shooting in low contrast situations, however,
> you will not be able to approach this kind of DR without increasing
> the films b+f."

You're right , most of times I shoot immediately the sun has disappeared in
the horizon. That absolutely magic light !

"I rate BPF at an EI of 150"

As I said before I'm obsessed by shadow detail , perhaps I'm overexposing.
I have only one B&W densitometer so I'm unable to read my shadow density in
pyro negatives in order to confirm this. Visually ,my negatives have plenty
of density perhaps to much, but that doesn't explains the overall excessive
density (b+f or stain ?).

 "Finally, what is your exposing light for POP ?"

Usually I use Bl tubes because my darkroom and working space has no
suitable place to expose the printing frame to sunlight.
Nevertheless I learned last week when I tried to expose some very dense
Ilford Ortho+ film with silver POP at direct Portuguese sun for several
hours that the film stick to the printing frame glass because the back of
the film literally melted !!

I confirmed that when I expose POP to a normal fluorescent tube for 12 to
24 hrs the contrast will increase visibly.

I do not confirm as you said that direct sunlight will be faster than
artificial light source. My experience says the opposite. At least with my
working conditions.

Thanks again for your support. Here in the west limit of Europe I feel
sometimes like a alternative Martian :-) .

Greetings

Manuel Gomes Teixeira

Punctum Studios
Portugal