Re: cleaning pipettes and droppers

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 09/09/01-04:16:43 PM Z

On Sun, 9 Sep 2001, shannon stoney wrote:

> I am wondering how people on this list keep their eyedroppers and
> pipettes clean. I use them to measure small amounts of emulsion.
> Mine are attached to bulbs that can't be removed, like medicine
> droppers. I have difficulty getting the blue out of them when I use
> them for cyanotype.

Shannon, if you're using a regular dropper as in dropper bottles you can
pull the little rubber bulb off the glass stem and ram a sharpened
applicator stick (what doctor uses to swab throat-- NOT a Q-tip which is
size of a fist) with a tiny twist of cotton on top into the shaft. Twist
it a little & it swabs out the inside. If the cotton comes off in the
shaft, poke a nail or long pin in to push it out. Then you work the rubber
bulb back onto the glass & good as new.

I have 8 ounce dropper bottles for each solution, droppers stay on & don't
dry out... much handier for all mixes, including dichromate, gum arabic,
etc. If you can't get 8-oz bottles, 2 ounce will do, just have to be
refilled more often.

INE pipettes are a dpin... (damn pain in the neck)-- more trouble than
they're worth.

Judy