Re : IB Comments

From: Gandolfo (jpgalt@infonie.fr)
Date: 09/10/01-03:47:29 PM Z

In a message dated 9 september, Richard Knopow wrote :
Its very likely that the actual Dye Transfer formulas are available, I
just don't have them. Someone on this list may have formulas or even be
using the process.

----
Richard Knoppow

Dear list

I had some stock of Dye Transfer matrix (ortho) in my freezer and once a year I roll a print to show to my students the magic of assembly processes. The home made taning developer I use is a free translation of the security sheet published by Kodak at the time the process was on the shelf :

Part A 1 Genol : 6,70 g Ascorbic acid : 2,20 g Potassium bromide : 5,20 g P. hydroxybenzoate methyl : 1,10 g

Part A 2 Pyrogallol : 6,90 g Water : to make 1 l

Part B Sodium carbonate : 240 g sodium tetraphosphat : 25 g eau : to make 1 l

The Kodak solution and substitute give very similar results in terms of speed, contrast and wash-off (pH Kodak A1 + A2 = 3,87, pH home made A1 + A 2 = 3,77) You can start with the Kodak ratio for mixing (1A + 2B = normal contrast)

The formula given by Bob Pace in his book works fine too.

Best regards to the list people from Paris

-- Jean-Paul GANDOLFO French National School of Photography ENS Louis LUMIERE BP 22 93161 Noisy le Grand cedex

e-mail : jpgalt@infonie.fr