Re: wash off relief

From: Richard Knoppow (dickburk@ix.netcom.com)
Date: 09/10/01-05:09:45 PM Z

At 02:26 PM 09/10/2001 -0400, you wrote:

>On Sun, 9 Sep 2001, Richard Knoppow wrote:
>
>Richard, you speak of a washoff relief process that is "capable of very
>beautiful, and very long> lived, results, but is painfully difficult."
>
>We call that gum bichromate printing, but at odd times it's embarrassingly
>easy...
>
>Judy

  I was refering to three-color carbro printing. Wash-off relief and its
later incarnation as dye transfer also require a lot of skill but
three-color carbro is reputed to have been exceptionally difficult.
  The difficulty stems from the number and variety of things which must be
controlled to get good color. While the carbon and carbro processes are not
in themselves particularly complex, and are very practical for monochrome,
the additional requirements for color make it painful.
  Because carbon uses pigments rather than dyes prints can be exceedingly
long lived.
  At least two companies were offering modernized three color carbon prints
recently, I don't know what their current status is but someone on the list
surely will.
  Of course, its a bichromate-based method like gum.

----
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles,Ca.
dickburk@ix.netcom.com