RE: (OT) the view from 1.6 miles

From: Rick Moore (rickm@gethen.com)
Date: 09/17/01-08:33:05 AM Z

You're stepping out onto a slippery slope here. Our hands are simply
not as clean as you try to suggest. Ask the hundreds of thousands of
Guatemalans tortured and murdered by the military dictatorship
installed, trained and supported by the US. Ask the tens of thousands
of Chileans murdered by Pinochet and his thugs, who were aided and
supported by Nixon, Kissinger and their cronies in overthrowing the
legitimately elected government. Ask the tens or hundreds of thousands
of Nicaraguans murdered by the Samozas, installed directly by US
Marines. Ask the hundreds of thousands of Iranians tortured and
murdered by the Shah, installed by the CIA after overthrowing the
legitimately elected government. The list goes on and on.

I don't think any of this justifies the barbaric actions that took place
last Tuesday, but these events did not occur in a vacuum. The United
States acted in a very heavy-handed way all over the world (especially
so in the Middle East and central Asia) in the last century, and I'm
afraid we're going to be paying the price for our actions for a long
time to come.