No Subject

Smieglitz@aol.com
Date: 09/17/01-08:15:18 PM Z

Sorry for my incomplete previous post. Somehow AOL sent it off prematurely,
so to complete the thought...

David,

You bring up several questions that simply can't be answered with a "one size
fits all" response. I will comment that a good negative for producing a full
scale gumprint generally has lower contrast, much lower than a standard
negative for platinum printing or even silver gelatin. You can however
produce gumprints from high contrast kodalith negatives if you wish a
posterized effect. So, it all depends what you are after. Pyro may or may
not affect the gum emulsion in terms of contrast, but I suspect the speed
might vary due to the stain. (I'm not aware of anyone actually testing pyro
for use with gum printing, so take the previous statement solely as
conjecture on my part.)

You mention in-camera separation negatives and pigments for printing each of
the 3 negatives. It sounds like you are not color-separating here, but
rather separating for different tonal areas. If so, is your intent to
neutralize the colors and produce an essentially monochrome image with
slightly warmer/cooler shadows or highlights, or are you after a more
realistic full-color rendition? The latter involves an RGB or CMYK set of
separation negatives and not a set based on tone.

Either way, the choice of pigments as "good starting points" is pretty wide
open and various gum printers will recommend different brands or colors,
often with different experiences. As a general statement, I'd say most of us
try to print with transparent, non-staining pigments whenever possible.
Unfortunately, many of those staining or opaque pigments are also too
beautiful to resist and can be used with good result if one accepts their
limitations. Generally, pthalocyanine- or quinacridone-based pigments tend
to stain, some more than others, so individual tests are in order. Also, in
general, the closer a pigment is to white in value (e.g., many yellows), the
greater its opacity will be. However, there are exceptions. Daniel Smith
New Gamboge is a fairly transparent yellow in contrast to the often
recommended cadmium yellows which are more opaque. Likewise, a pthalo blue
will be transparent and a cobalt blue more opaque. Ditto with alizarin
crimson or a quinacridone red vs. a cadmium red. So, there are tradeoffs in
hue, transparency and staining potential that can only be decided by the
individual printer. Buy a few tubes and experiment, but look at the
transparency, staining and lightfastness ratings for any pigments you choose.
 There are several internet sites that list pigment characteristics...I think
the last one cited onlist was in the watercolor painting section of a site
called "handprint.com" but most art supply shops will have pigment charts or
spec flyers if you ask for them.

Hope this helps.

And peace to all...

Joe