Re: Art as an answer to insanity

From: Christina Z. Anderson (zphoto@montana.net)
Date: 09/17/01-09:21:04 PM Z

Katherine,
     I too had the same reaction. I was having to go teach at 1:00 that
day, after listening to the news from before 7 AM MST on, and seeing the
second crash in what was almost or was real time, and on my way to work I
wondered what was the point--so what if I teach 89 students this semester to
make effective photographs? How petty. I really lost my bearings.
     Then I went out pinholing on Saturday, up in the mountains, with a 4x5
box camera and polaroid sheet film (along with a couple other pinhole
cameras). I went through probably 30 sheets, old expired film even from as
far back as 89!!, not expecting to get anything in return but enjoying the
process. That act of creating is my joy, my balance, in life. I had just
come off of finally finishing my Experimental Photography workbook, 166 pp
of sheer single space info, and I found that after the last number of months
of writing this, that I was SO in my head in an intellectual space that I
needed to reconnect with creating art. In times of crisis I realize that
the important things in life to me are people, and art (creation). That
ubiquitous slogan "just do it" is very apt.
Chris
PS with the really old polaroid, the emulsion was kinda dried and spotty and
fleckey, and it produced this incredibly brilliant occasional pink splotch
amidst the muck that was quite endearing. It made a beautiful "color field"
sort of mini painting.