Re: Happy New Year, God Bless America...

From: Lukas Werth (lukas.werth@rz.hu-berlin.de)
Date: 09/19/01-03:24:00 AM Z

Judy,

I think now it is time for an explicit thank you for your on-list statements.

As a European, I have resisted the temptation of throwing my opinion in
during these first days. But I am greatly relieved to realise that, as the
list response by and large shows, some people are still able to think
reasonably.

One word about the Falwell, Bin Laden, and others: actually, your pun about
the "contest for god's truth" is nearer to the mark than you might have
realized yourself: on the phone, I told you about conspiracy theories in
the Islamic world, but I did not come to tell you that there in fact is a
vivid exchange between Islamic conspirationalists and reactionary American
Christian groups, militant groups and so forth. They even cite each other,
in Pakistan Amrerican books published fro those circles are read and cited
for support, web sites are accessed...their ideas basically have the same
structure, they only need a slight twist and tweak to be appied in another
cultural context.

Lukas