Re: Art as an answer to insanity

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 09/20/01-01:46:34 AM Z

Lukas,

I leave your entire message below because I was so glad to read it again,
maybe some others who read hastily the first time would like to also.
You raise profound questions about art. I don't know any answers, maybe
beyond me as an artist, but surely in my mind today.

I'd walked to Union Square, which has coalesced as a site of grief, &
people's "shrines", covering most of the park, candles, flowers, slogans,
with the statue of Washington on horseback suddenly flag (and "peace"
grafitti) bedecked. What are all over the neighborhood & more wrenching
than ever as hope dies, here become a veritable sea of the "missing" --
two long fences -- "wall of hope" and "mural of hope" -- pictures of the
lost in hundreds (& probably hundreds to come) pinned & taped up, all
looking so alive & beautiful, many of the men, incidentally, holding their
babies.

I went in part out of restlessness, "regular" art seeming at the moment
unurgent -- with the notion of photographing the Washington statue for a
giant gum print. Maybe you saw it on TV (the satellite trucks were there,
but NEW ones, NOT from the West side highway -- where do they get so
many?). Maybe their telephoto lenses conveyed it better than my 55 mm --
which framed the scene OK, but somehow lost the aura, the feeling of
exquisite grunge, OK, the transcendency. Or seemed to in the view finder.
Is a straight photograph of this "art", or bathos, or even advertising --
which TV is anyway, so no problem. If Andreas Gursky did it, we'd say
exploitation. I took maybe 10 shots: maybe the camera will perform a
miracle.

But aren't most of the "political" artists you mention abstractionists
(certainly music) ? Even Goya is stylized, not "realistic"... It seemed
today also that the air and the sound and the sense of the space were
essential.

Your story of the Afghani boys is perfect as told -- & heart-rending just
as narrative, that is, words, but what becomes of them as photographs ?
...Without captions couldn't they be any ragamuffins --the TEXT is the
story (seems to me) or at least essential to it.

I'll add that many of the signs at the park were pleas for peace and cries
from Muslim-Americans that murder & terror are unIslamic. Various folks
offered to bring me to Jesus, & in what I take for a new wrinkle wanted to
give me a free CD on the topic. And bless him, a sikh striding down 4th
avenue WITH his turban on, and not a head turned... The crowd was so
varied, motley, one-worldish, international "diversity"-looking it could
have come from central casting, tho I doubt Hollywood could have invented
the props. One sign did say STRIKE NOW, tho it didn't say whom or where or
what. But another had a picture of John Wayne x'd out, with "This is no
time for cowboys" in black marker. A photo copy of the "Wanted Dead or
Alive" first page of the Daily News had "Our grief is not a cry for war"
in marker.

PS: Being 2 blocks from Strand, I indulged on the way home. FLASH: they
have the Frizot "A New History of Photography" a bargain at $39.95, now
for $29.95. (But it's lethal -- drop it & break a toe.) Since you ask,
Strand is worth the trip alone. Fella today says "12 miles of books." I
said the sign says eight miles. He said "we lied."

best,

Judy