Re: Gold Toning VDB prints

From: Istvan Bibo (bibo969@hotmail.com)
Date: 09/20/01-03:53:12 AM Z

On Wed, 19 Sep 2001 Judy Seigel wrote:

>This is related to but not same as the T55 formula in Post-Factory #3,
>page 27. Two points however,
>
>1. I did not find it necessary to boil 30 minutes, rather just until
>dissolved, which was quite prompt, so the fright about boiling selenium
>seems a bit overdrawn. (Use a narrow-mouth flask & cover).

I prepared a Na Sulfide based Selenium Toner,(Ilford IT-3) I can confirm
that it is not such an ordeal, though maybe the magnetic mixer and heater
made it so easy to disolve the selenium.

>2. However powder selenium is not only costly, it's hard to find.... I
>managed to get a few ounces from either Tri-S or Bryant labs (I forget
>which) long ago, but don't think they carry it any more. Any sources out
>there? First Reaction?

I think it is not much help to you, but in here, Hungary I bought 50 grams
of selenium powder for around 3 (three) dollars from a school-lab supplier 1
year ago. I am sure that they do not accept international orders. Why this
piece of information might be useful for you is that it proves that selenium
does not necessarily have to be expensive.

the best to all

Istvan Bibo