Re: Looking for gum printers who use powder pigments

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 09/21/01-12:31:27 PM Z

> .... research indicates that PVA (poly vinyl
> alcohol) is the one of choice now but this appears to be incompatible with
> gum Arabic. The exact materials that go into commercial pigments and water
> colors are a trade secret but there is plenty of generic information out
> there to make some good suppositions.

Since many watercolorists add more or less gum arabic to their washes as
they paint, it seems unlikely that an "artist's" paint would use an
"incompatible" ingredient.

I gather there are many PVAs & maybe some really are incompatible with gum
-- I'd been told that gum & something or other else (I forget, but think
it was alcohol) were incompatible, that mixing would lead to clumping... I
tried it in all amounts one could likely use for a photograph, couldn't
get it to clump.

I'll try PVA with gum...

Judy