Re: New Epson 1160 and MIS Full Spectrum Quadton Inks

From: Nick Makris (nick@mcn.org)
Date: 09/22/01-12:22:08 PM Z

Judy wrote:

> Nick, do I understand correctly that you are using the MIS inks in "full
> spectrum" to produce a monochrome negative? Or just black?

I'm not sure what a 'just black' neg is except to say; I am using all 4
colors (in this case black and three shades of gray) to produce my negs
using Cone Photoshop Printer Plugin and MIS FS Quad inks. Be sure not to
use the original MIS Quad inks as they DO NOT WORK with the Cone driver. I
say that with tounge in cheek because just when you say it, someone will
make a new curve to make it work. I prefer to like what I see on my screen
and to then have it appear on paper/film more or less as seen on screen.

Please be aware of a couple of caveats that I encountered when
implementating the continuous flow system with the FS Quad inks.

1) the inks don't follow the form/density of the traditional
        CMY densities of the quad inks where C=25%, M=75%, Y=50%,
        in fact with the FS version, C=75%, M=50%, Y=25%.
        I haven't stopped to consider how this is made to work,
        however it does. When printing a test page of CMYK, the
        densities looked like they were in the wrong colums indicating
        that I had probably put the wrong inks in the right cartridges.
        Fortunately, that was not the case.

2) The switch activators (small pieces of hard foam) in the
        continous flow system can be pushed in too far causing
        the sensors to say that no cartridge is installed. Go easy and
        watch the corresponding 'ink out' led.

> Also, I gather you are printing the negative onto the Weyerhaeyser paper
> "Satin Ink Jet" and then waxing to make translucent???

True. This paper is relatively inexpensive and produces great blacks and
tonal seperation. If anyone know of it in a larger size, please post.

> I've gotten some sheets of larger paper in hopes of finding one that will
> wax well.... was distracted this week & didn't get to try them yet. If you
> find one that does work, puleese pass the word.

Nick