Re: paper

From: Jeffrey D. Mathias (jeffrey.d.mathias@worldnet.att.net)
Date: 09/23/01-07:54:14 AM Z

Jeremiah
Trickstrr@aol.com wrote:
> ... What kinds of paper do you guys use when you do
> alternative processes? Is thickness better? Could I just use some
> cheapo drawing paper from Mead or something, ...

Questions to ask yourself are:
How important is this work (to myself or others)?
Am I producing something to simply discard into the trash?
Do I want to learn this process?

Most of the alt-photo process can be influenced by the paper selected.
It is a good idea to use the paper intended for your final results.
Papers, even of the highest quality, can vary from batch to batch. It
is a good idea that once you find a paper you like, get a lot from that
same batch. Yes, Edward Weston had said that a good print could even be
made on a bath mat, but there are only a limited number of images that
might look good that way.

As thickness goes: It is not a matter of "better". Some thin papers
can deliver unmatched sharpness, detail, and translucency. Some thick
papers can deliver great tooth, flatness, and texture. It is a mater of
personal selection.

Do not be surprised to find some papers costing more than commercial
gelatin silver paper. Art stores are a good place to find several
different papers. Once you find a paper you like, you may ask the store
for a discount on purchasing a large quantity.

--
Jeffrey D. Mathias
http://home.att.net/~jeffrey.d.mathias/