Re: Copying prints

From: Carl Weese (cweese@earthlink.net)
Date: 09/27/01-10:26:55 AM Z

David,

You will need full "cross polarization", that is, polarizing screens on the
lights and a filter on the lens, otherwise you'll get hazy flare on the
print surface. (At least this is invariably the case with larger platinum
prints--it may be that you could get away without the filters with little
4x5's, but I doubt it). I think it's best to use color slide film to capture
some of the platinum print's color information. Avoid the most highly
saturated films like Velvia.

You'll want a longer than normal lens to copy small prints and leave room
for the lighting equipment. For Nikon, the 105 Micro-Nikkor would certainly
be ideal.---Carl

--
        web site with picture galleries
        and workshop information at: