Re: Spectral density [was: Re: Inkjet transparencies ]

From: Bob Kiss (bobkiss@caribsurf.com)
Date: 04/02/02-07:47:00 PM Z

DEAR KATHERINE,
    Firstly, there are types of clear glass that greatly attenuate or even
block UV radiation so it isn't a matter of which color...it is more a matter
of what material the filter is made. Certain plastics and doped glasses
block UV very well but are, for all intents and purposes, "clear" which
means that they pass all colors which make up white light, the visible part
of the electromagnetic spectrum
    Here-in lies the problem. The accepted definition of light is "that
part of the electromagnetic spectrum which is visible". UV and Infra-red
are not "light" because they are not visible...they are "energy" or
"radiation".
    If you look at the spectral transmission curves of a red and a cyan
(compliments) filter you would see that the red passes...red but no shorter
wavelength colors (blue, green, etc). Cyan passes blue and green but not
longer wavelength colors (red). You can see the same with Blue-yellow and
Green-magenta; green passes the middle of the visual spectrum and magenta
only the ends, i.e. blue and red.
So, if you try to adhere to this mode of thought you will see that a clear,
UV blocking piece of glass which passes all wavelengths of light longer than
UV but no wavelengths shorter than the color violet, could actually be
considered the "compliment" of UV...if we were to insist upon one.
   As April 1st was yesterday I am trying very hard to resist asking if that
makes the matter clearer.
    CHEERS!
            BOB