Re: Gum without glass

From: roger kockaerts (permadocument@yahoo.com)
Date: 04/03/02-12:54:03 AM Z

 Hello,
Sealing a print against humidity can be done by putting the print between two sheets of plexiglas and sealing the borders with chloroform which melts the plexiglas locally and forms an impervious layer. Such a mounting can be hung in a bathroom or even a sauna with no ill effects to the print. It is a completely reversible method and archivally safe because photographic prints may, without danger, be put in contact with plexiglas.
All the best,
Roger

  Halvor <halvorb@mac.com> a écrit : on 02.04.02 23:03, Katharine Thayer at kthayer@pacifier.com wrote:

> Judy Seigel wrote:
>>

>> I'd make a distinction between SHOWING the work and long-term position on
>> a wall under real-life conditions.
>
> And I for one wouldn't think of showing work that I wasn't pretty sure
> could endure being on a wall longterm under real-life conditions. In an
> earlier answer to Keith's question I described how I planned to seal
> the work to make it impervious to moisture and other kinds of damage,
> which I tested on a prototype before going ahead and mounting and
> sealing the exhibition prints. The sealant is completely invisible and
> adds no sheen or plastic quality to the print, but seals the paper both
> front and back.

This sealant, what is it ? sorry if you have already mentioned it but the
amount of mails going through this list is a bit much sometimes. Would like
to try something similar with my pt/pd

thanks
Halvor Bjoerngaard

>I suspect the print is probably better protected against
> moisture this way than if it were framed under glass. On the other hand,
> it is probably more vulnerable to physical damage; although my testing
> demonstrated that scratches and marks could be wiped off or buffed out,
> a deep gouge could happen and would be harder to fix. On the other hand,
> anything that would hit the front of an unframed print hard enough to
> gouge it, might well break the glass if it hit the front of a framed
> print at the same intensity, and the broken glass could gouge the print.
> So I don't know.... seems like six dozen of one and half a dozen dozen
> of the other.
>
> kt

Roger Kockaerts
Permadocument - pH7