Sandy's kallitype method; good and bad photography

From: shannon stoney (sstoney@pdq.net)
Date: 04/03/02-07:37:20 AM Z

>Shannon,
>
>You will find the information I posted on this in the February list
>archives, at /lists/alt-photo-process/

Thanks, I found it and saved it. I will try it today as best I can
with the chemistry I already have. I have ammonium citrate for a
developer rather than sodium citrate; I wonder if that is part of my
problem? Or maybe it doesn't make a big difference? What IS the
difference?

   Also, I found the very interesting thread that I'm sorry I missed
in February about good and bad photography. I only bring this up to
say that if anyone is still interested in thinking about whether the
Emperor has no clothes or not, she might like to peruse the most
recent issue of The New Republic, which has a very trenchant (some
might say over the top negative) review of the Gerhard Richter show
in NYC by Jed Perl, and also a shorter article by him about the
exhibit at the Jewish Museum. He addresses a lot of the questions
that were raised in the thread on this list and puts it in an art
historical context. Good writing, most of which I agree with, even
though I have not had a chance to visit the Richter show and have
only seen his work in books.

That said, I was inspired by the Diana camera images in Christopher
James's book that prompted the initial discussion, and I'm looking
forward to learning how to enlarge medium format negatives for
contact printing. I like the idea of being able to carry around a
little plastic camera inconspicuously. My favorite picture in the
whole book was the picture of giggling girls with the Eiffel Tower in
the background, made with a Diana camera. I also like to make very
f64 images, everything very "straight" and in focus, with my view
camera, and I catch a lot of flak for it at my university where I am
considered very retro, possible reactionary, maybe a fascist? Not
buying the whole Postmodern bag makes you suspect there. But I say,
let a hundred flowers bloom!!! (See, I'm really a Communist.)

--shannon