RE: traffic

From: Richard Knoppow (dickburk@ix.netcom.com)
Date: 04/06/02-11:14:55 PM Z

At 10:09 PM 04/06/2002 -0500, you wrote:

>On Sat, 6 Apr 2002, Jeff Wagner wrote:
>

>> This is a great list, and an invaluable resource of hard won experience.
 It
>> generates a staggering amount of information.
>>
>> Am I the only one that wishes it were a newsgroup rather than an email
>> list??
>>

>OK, I'll bite: What's a newsgroup? And would you explain why that would
>be better?
>
>FWIW, my own feeling is, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
>
>Judy

  News group are open discussion groups carried on Usenet. Usenet is not a
part of the Internet but is distributed in the same way. Each ISP has a
news server or group of servers which collect messages sent to the news
groups. When you post a message it goes to a local machine which then
distributes it throughout the network.
  E-mail differs in that messages are addressed to specific addresses or
groups of addresses and go nowhere else.
  There are probably over 30,000 news groups of various sorts from acacemic
discussion to porn groups. You need a news reader to access them and your
ISP must have a news server (nearly all do). I think you have a shell
account, the shell should have a news reader built in.
  I disagree that the list should be a news group. News groups are subject
to all sorts of spamming and are very hard to controll even when moderated.
About the only advantage a news group has is that news readers can
download headers without message bodies. You can then choose the messages
you want to read.
  There is more but this is very off topic and the info is available on the
web. Do a google search for Usenet and you will find plenty.
  BTW, Google.com has a good web based newsreader. Click the "Groups" tab
on the home page and go from there.

----
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA