Re: desktop negatives and banding

From: Sandy King (sanking@clemson.edu)
Date: 04/10/02-07:52:39 PM Z

Shannon wrote:

>So, maybe the granular look of digital negs doesn't matter? I think
>my original negative may be a bit fuzzy to begin with. It is 4x5,
>but it was a rather long exposure at night of a person sitting, who
>probably moved a bit. So I scanned another one today, on the Epson
>1680 at school, and printed out the new negative at 600 dpi. I
>haven't printed it in cyanotype yet, but I see banding in the thin
>areas. This was a problem in the other one too. I went through all
>the "cures" for banding in the book, including cleaning the heads
>and realigning them and all that, but it didn't eliminate the
>banding. Any more ideas on how to get rid of it? It's longways
>banding, ie vertical.

Sorry Shannon, but I have no information to share with you about how
to stop banding other than what is in the Epson 2000P printer manual.
I have had a few problems with this printer in the past that cleared
up with an overnight rest so maybe you and the printer just need to
take a break. Make sure you put Pictorico in the printer with the
right orientation of course, with the notch at the top right as you
hold it up to place in the tray.

I don't know if the granular (maybe I should have said "grainy") look
of desktop negatives with the 2000P on Pictorico matters to you. It
is much less than you would see in a 35mm negative enlarged on silver
paper to 11X14, and about what you would see from a high speed 6X6
negative blown up to 16X20. Some people love grain so this should not
necessarily put one off to digital desktop negatives. In any event I
think you should find little loss in apparent sharpness, especially
if you use the Unsharp mask feature of PhotoShot ot enhance sharpness.

Best,

Sandy