Re: figuring pinhole exposures

From: Diana H. Bloomfield (dlhbloom@mindspring.com)
Date: 04/12/02-05:17:27 PM Z

Hi Shannon,

I don't know anything about that formula. Looks complicated, and I
don't think it allows for reciprocity failure.

But to answer your other questions . . . the f-stop for a pinhole camera
is the focal length divided by the diameter of the pinhole. For
example, if your camera has a pinhole to film plane distance of 5.5
inches, and your pinhole diameter is .0018 inches (that is the size of a
#10 hand sewing needle), this ratio is 5.5 divided by .0018, which is
300. So 300 will be your f number.

There are optimal pinhole sizes for a given distance (from pinhole to
film plane), though you don't have to use those. Here's the Pinhole
Visions site that includes a pinhole calculation guide for optimal
pinhole sizes: http://www.pinholevisions.org/resources/cameraTable.php
There's a lot of good information on that site, including a discussion
list you can join, so check it out.

There are folks out there who have worked out exposure calcuations--all
based on pinhole size, film/paper being used, and allowing for
reciprocity failure. Personally, I get used to whatever camera I'm
using and simply look at the weather and guess. Once I understand how
my camera works under certain conditions, I can pretty much determine
correct exposures. However, lately I've been using much larger (more
expensive) film, so I'm trying to be much more exact. There is a great
little guide, called the Black Cat Exposure Guide. You can find it on
the web. It's cheap and light and works great.

Hope this helps.

--Diana