Re: trees rule

From: Halvor (halvorb@mac.com)
Date: 04/14/02-04:21:43 AM Z

I suppose "editing out" becomes a choise of words. Which I, to some exctent
is guilty of.

Now, to discuss pictures or picture making strategies without seeing the
print's is bound to produce some missunderstandings. I will put up a web
page and add the link to my mails later.

I would however like to go on a bit more. I am supposed to give a speech on
my pictures in about two months (in Japanese, a language I master like a 4
year old child). This also beeing my first public speech, I really need to
straigthen out my thoughts and come up with something sensible about my
trees. This email exchange really got my head working again. Due to language
problems I have only been able to have intelligent conversations with two
people the last two years, so thanks.

And I suppose another mail on trees in this pool of ink(jet :) won't hurt.
(High traffic or not it is still faster and simpler than a web board). Also
we shouldn't, as alternative photographers (or should that be
photographists), let the acusation of beeing only conserned with
technological matters pass entierly by.

First, it is a bit a matter of scale, I focus on only a couple of trees
instead of a few thousand. This, yes, beeing a result of the urbanisasion of
the world & degredation of nature. Call it portraying what is left. The
single image will not reveal much, although beautiful in itself, but the
body of work will reveal what is missing. (That might, I suppose, depend on
the spectator, culturally & interest) Doing pure landscapes/trees in the
greater Tokyo area does pose quite a bit of problems. It is however also a
challenge wich can produce interesting results.

(Same as with the alternative processes; if I want a bigger print (at least
before the inkjet) the option is to either enlarge the negative which I find
a bit boring, or put many negatives together, which makes a bigger print.
Side effect beeing a more puzzled & interesting image.)

The other part is the split between reasons for making the pictures, or
along the line "it is easy to critisise but solutions can be complicated". I
mean once you have the pure landscape, what to do then ? "Admire it
intesely" ? Is that really enough ? Would like it to be that way. I havn't
entierly resolved this issue, are however working on it by making pure
landscapes.

Or again, a tree signifies a tree. Punctum. Trees are good for my head or
mental state. They can look good with the sun behind you, or slightly insane
before they get leaves, sun against camera and the right angle & printing.
No problems involved. However my internal (eternal) critic beeing a bit more
in tune with the state of the art, demands a problem orientated approach to
picture making. As society is increasingly problem orientated.....

is this what's called "beating a dead fish" or something like that?

About the paper cup. Tragic with an element of humor. It does also
illustrates the changes of picture perception over time. Most people I know
within photography today, would probaly have congratulated you instead, on a
succesfull commment on the state of Nature. Assuming you ment the cup to be
there. Which you today would have :)

Anyway Thanks to Shannon for this title may I suggest treesrule.com if you
are going to make a web page sometime. It has been inspirational.

now, there are trees to photograph.. :)

Halvor