Re: Fw: To preserve a daguerreotype. Questions

From: Robert W. Schramm (schrammrus@hotmail.com)
Date: 04/23/02-09:23:31 AM Z

William,

Perhaps you could build a machine to do this but I expect it would be very
expensive because of the precision required. Let me use the analogy of
polishing a telescope mirror. This is done by hand because the figure of the
mirror must be accurate to 1/8 a wavelength of light which is pretty small,
i.e. on the order of 10 to the -13 cm. Polishing is done by repeated testing
and variations in pressure between the tool and mirror. Polishing a
daguerreotype plate is done in a similar way except that the final polish
does not have to be as precise as a telescope mirror. The plate is
frequently examined under a strong light and adjustments are made in the way
pressure is applied to different parts of the plate in order to acheive an
even polish. You may not know this but a plate to be used horizontally
(landscape mode) is note polished in the same way as one to be used
vertically (portrait mode). There are also small variations in the amount of
rouge on the buff, the nap of the buff itself and the surface of the plate,
all of which would have to be taken into consideration by a machine.
Possibly, you could scan the plate as it is being polished and feed the data
to a computer controling the polishing machine. You would need to write an
appropriate program of course.

Bob Schramm