"Antiquarian Avant Garde" and Nostalgia and spleening my vent

From: William Linne (photoassistant@hotmail.com)
Date: 04/30/02-10:17:24 PM Z

One thing that really pissed me off about this book (and alot of alt work
these days) is how they glorify the rough edges and "mistakes" of alot of
early processes. No wet plate worker worth his salts would have shown a
plate with the rough edges and blemishes that so many present day
practitioners seek. I don't understand why the "mistakes" have become the
prevailing aesthetic. The processes are so beautiful on their own. Also, why
do so many wet plate workers shoot the exact same subject matter that
photographers did in the 1800's. I saw some Spagnoli dags that were taken in
NYC recently. Those were beautiful. Do we really need another wetplate of an
antique tea kettle on the porch of a log cabin?

William