Re[2]: Sicko humor as art?

From: Mike Dale (diopside@pconline.com)
Date: 08/13/02-02:12:59 AM Z

LAShively -

Lac> So the process of torture is art? Some do believe in physical pain....and if
Lac> life was really "to each his own" than would not society crumble into
Lac> anarchy? Is anarchy not the secret wish of every artist? But would life/art
Lac> be possible in non-existance, i.e. anarchy?

Absolutely not, what we're talking about is photography as an art and an
individuals right to express themselves, perhaps I was a little more than vague.
"To each their own" was meant as an internal thought process or in regard to the
creative process. We all try to live by the rules governed by our cultures and
society however, within our own domains (self) we have, or should have the
freedom to express ourselves. Personally, I'm not into violence or torture and I
didn't interpret any of the images as such. Beauty comes in many forms, it's a
perception and interpretation, at least that's how I view it. I value other's
works even if I don't agree with the subject, I try to keep an open mind, if for
no other reason than to allow someone the same opportunity I have to express
myself, right or wrong. Helmut Newton comes to mind among others, all the models
begin to become one if you look at them long enough, yet the images as a whole
are quite remarkable.

- Mike