Enlarged negatives

From: Warren Wilson (warrenwilson@mail.earthlink.net)
Date: 08/16/02-05:39:26 PM Z

I started with the original TMX 4x5 negative with a density range
of .39 to 1.14, somewhat underdeveloped for silver, but
easy to print.

I have made a contact interpositive of that negative
on the same film. That was exposed for 5 seconds at
f/16, with the color head set at cmy 90. The enlarger's
negative stage is 35 inches above the contact frame with
the 150 lense fully extended, and thus out of focus.
I developed that for 7 mins, 12 secs in full strength
D-23 at 75 degrees F in a jobo tank.
The result was a positive image with a density range
of 0.4 in the hifglights and 1.28 in the shadows. Not too
far off from the recommended range of .32 to 1.25 from
the chapter "Printing by the numbers" in Sullivan and
Weese's book.

Anyway, I enlarged that positive about 1.6x onto TMX
exposing for 5 seconds, f/11, CMY 90. It was developed
in T Max RS diluted 1:9 from the concentrate at 75
degrees F for 15 minutes in a jobo drum. This resulted
in a negative with a density range of .83 in the shadows
and 1.73 in the highlights.

Next I tried exposure of 5 seconds at f/16, CMY 150, 3 stops
less than the first try. I developed that for 20 minutes
in the same dilution of T Max RS at 75 F. This resulted
in a negative with a density range of .38 in the shadows
to 1.09 in the highlights, not very different from my original
negative, which had been developed in the jobo drum for
8 minutes at 75 F, same developer and dilution. 10 minutes
at EI 80 is my normal exposure and developing routine.

Anyhow I'm not getting anywhere near the range recommended
by Sullivan and Weese on page 67 of "The New Platinum Print."

My most recent try was to change two variables at once, which is
a bit crazy, but thats what I was then. I reduced the exposure by
one and two thirds stop, to 5 seconds, f/16, CMY 105. This I
developed in HC 110 diluted 1:1 from stock for 10 minutes.
This gambit resulted in a negative with shadow density of
.89 and highlight density of 2.09.

My question of course is how to get to the recommended
densities of Step 4(.47) to step 16 (2.31)?

Warren Wilson
warrenwilson@earthlink.net