Re[2]: Weston, and why not print silver gelatin?

From: Alan Mynett (a.mynett@ntlworld.com)
Date: 08/18/02-09:27:02 AM Z

Hello Shannon,

Sunday, August 18, 2002, 4:18:09 PM, you wrote:

> Also, it seemed like he was using a lightbulb as a light source. Is that
> right?

> ... really I'm most interested in HOW he did all this.

If you're interested in Weston's methods then have a look at an
article Cole Weston wrote in Darkroom 2 (Ed Jain Kelly, published 1978
by Lustrum Press) about how he went about printing Edward's negatives.
It's been out of print for a long time but a good library should have
it.

In case you can't find it, here are a few quotes:
"Most of Dad's negatives were made with Agfa Isopan, which he loved.
It was discontinued more than twenty (now read 40!) years ago ... It
had an ASA of about 25, but he cut it down to ASA 12 when he developed
with Pyro"

Weston's pyro formula is given (and an illustration the note in
Weston's own handwriting) and details of how he used it.

"Dad stored his negatives in glassine sleeves, where they remain to
this day. He put an extra sheet of glassine inside the sleeve to
protect the negative from the glue line."

"The negatives are coded in detail on each sleeve. The code might say
'H-1, 100, X-15". That means Haloid paper, grade No 1, 100 watt light
bulb, 15 second exposure. He then gave burning and dodging
instructions. contrary to what many people believe, at least 50% of
his negatives have to be dodged or burned in. This is a shock to many
'Westonians' ..."

"The Weston Negatives have been printed on a number opf papers over
the years ... Dad loved Haloid ... the paper had a wonderful warm
tonal quality"

"When I work in the darkroom, I place the paper and negtive in to a
standard 8 x 10 wooden contct printing frame ... I still use Dad's
dodging wires ... I clean the glass ... with toilet tissue, just as
Dad did ... The printing bulb is about three feet above the frame
attached to a tube that can be moved up and down. ... Depending on the
density of the negative, I use a 7 1/2, 15, 25 or 60 watt bulb. ... Dad used ...
chloride papers which require high intensity light, 100 to 500 watts.
The disadvantage of high-intensity bulbs is that they affect the eyes
over a peroid of time. Dad used to wear a tennis visor to protect his
eyes during a prinitng session."

Cole then goes on to explain detail printing of Nude, 1936, and Eggplant
1929. He finishes by saying that "(he) did not begin to make a living
from the sale of his own work until after ... 1938, when he was 51
years old. ... The most money he ever made in a single year was
$5,000."

Sorry for the length of this - I got carried away! It really is worth
tracking down the book.

--
Best wishes
 Alan Mynett