more Perl

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 08/18/02-04:56:30 PM Z

On Sun, 18 Aug 2002, Shannon Stoney wrote:

> >> Just out of curiosity: why do you not trust Jed Perl? I know you don't
> >> like him, but I've been wondering why. Do you know him? Is he a jerk or
> >> something? Or do you just usually disagree with what he writes?
> >

> > Good grief Shannon, did you forget the list "discussion" about Perl &
> > Conrad Richter?
>

> OH, that! I did sort of forget about it. But now that I think about it,
> all I remember is that you thought he was wrong about Richter. He probably
> was. But, in two recent posts you seemed to think he was wrong about
> EVERYTHING. So I just wondered why you thought that. I thought you might
> know him because I know you know a lot of critics in the NYC area.

Hmm, sorry ... for better or worse, I *know* very few critics, but do read
them, also for better or worse. And thus I feel qualified to award Perl
top honors as master of the unsupported assertion. When one of such
insidious sentiments parallels our own preconceptions it can pass as
"criticism." But we owe it to art & argument to notice. I can't guarantee
Perl never gets anything right, even a stopped clock is right twice a
day... but given his predilections and history, his simplisms and
mistakes, not to mention my growing backlog, I see no point in further
checking.

Here's an excerpt from the discussion slipped your mind, starting with a
Perl quote from my "Dumb Quote File," & continuing with comments
pertaining to his Richter rant, that may show why Perl is a frail reed as
commentator and guide. If I fail to prove this, like they say in the funny
papers: de gustibus non est disputandum. (Translation: you're wrong.)

"The Dumb Quote File" was an article I'd written in P-F #5. Perl had
earned inclusion for "There can be no grand style in photography since the
camera cannot generalize." (New Criterion, April '85.)