Warning: photographer in training, please reduce speed ahead.

From: Shannon Stoney (shannonstoney@earthlink.net)
Date: 08/19/02-05:59:34 PM Z

When you take
>> their images out of period by duplicating their work today and apply
>> contemporary thought to them, they do not hold up. This is because it has
>> been done. When work like this is now made it is in the ream of craft and
>> training. Artists have always looked back on past periods of art for
>> training and inspiration, not replication.
>

> This summary is perfect, says it all. Thank you.

I think there is something to this point about training. Maybe in art,
"ontogeny recapitulates phylogeny," just as in biology. (Pardon my invented
spelling.) That is, the life of the individual photographer sometimes has
to recapitulate the history of the medium in order to get to something new.
So, right now I'm at about 1925, I think. I am thinking about making some
less fuzzy images on silver gelatin paper!! How bout that!! Revolutionary,
huh? I might even take me some pictures of nekkid ladies with hairy legs.
And I might let some public hair show.

I wonder how old I'll be by the time I get to about 1978...

--shannon