Re: Van Dyke Brown Mixing question

From: julian smart (julian@jsmart.fslife.co.uk)
Date: 08/21/02-04:17:37 PM Z

Sandy, Don,

I have read of many people mixing the three solutions together and getting
good results. In fact this was the way I first approached my VDB printing
sessions. I soon found ,usually the next night, that I could not get
anywhere near the result I got when the mix was fresh. I should note that
my mix was, and still is, identical to that used by Don (mentioned in his
using purified water-medicinal grade at purchase. I also leave a 24hr period
between mixing a new batch of chemicals and any printing.

When I first started, and was mixing the three sols., together I could get a
very good result on the first printing (ie 24hrs after the chemicals were
made up) but any attempt to repeat print the next night would give me a
very flat and unuseable result. Keeping the three solutions seperate (mixing
the tart. acid daily) let me print until the stocks were exhausted.

One thing that did interest me about the prievious postings was the mention
of a precipitate forming upon addition of the Silver Nitrate. I almost
always got this when using distilled water (sold as auto battery top-up),
but never get it using the purified version from pharmacies. It always used
to mix in to leave a clear solution with either water type but was
definitely worse with the distilled water. I suspect many commercially used
water distilling appliances actually are just water softeners using NaCl as
the softening agent and we, the consumers are being taken for a ride...oops
there goes my paranoia again.

Julian.