Re: list diuscussions and an MFA question

From: Jack Fulton (jfulton@itsa.ucsf.edu)
Date: 08/22/02-03:21:37 PM Z

> From: Thom Mitchell <tjmitch@ix.netcom.com>

> What MFA programs are considered the
> strongest for Photography and Photo History?

Chicago Art Institute
Tyler
Corcoran school of Journalism (new)
RISD
Univ of WA
Univ of New Mexico @ Albuqerque
Univ of the Arts (Phila)
Univ of AZ
Bard
Riverside CA
San Francisco Art Institute (where I am)
. . .to name a few

However, the question to which I answer is almost one of those 'Best of"
ones. If one wishes to attend and MFA program it is wise to spend what
little money it costs to travel the country and personally observe the
classes and work done by students and also see how well received you are.

For the cost and time spent (2-3 years) you'd obtain so much that will favor
your interests, give you tremendous insight and give you a personal
assuredness so necessary to truly obtain the wealth of possibilities an MFA
affords. It is NOT about teaching unless you wish to teach . . then find a
school that deals with that. It is NOT about continuing one's great interest
in the medium It IS about kicking the pail out from underneath your
assumptions and getting some REAL work done that reflects your heart, soul
and creative mind.