Re: What Postmodernism Means, etc.,etc.,etc.

ARTHURWG@aol.com
Date: 08/22/02-04:22:12 PM Z

Hi Sandy. Yes, I know this work trades at high prices, is collected etc. But
that doesn't make it valuable, interesting or important, IMHO. I think it's
simply part of the "academic" / art world process, eg, college
art/photography professors and historians have to find something to talk
about, or something to justify all the inferior work that comes out of
universities these days. Galleries need product to move, and a rhetoric that
will wow the dentists. I think it's also part of an academic scratch-my-back
scenario of promotion and self promotion. And if we go to first principles,
most of the work in question is simply ugly. Yes, I know there's been an
"anti-quality" movement, an "anti-beauty" movment, a "deconstruction" movment
and god knows how many other movements. But most of the work in question
has already been forgotten, and the rest will follow sooner rather then
later. Arthur