meaning of words

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 08/26/02-01:47:29 AM Z

Shannon, you're making a fairly simple story into something bizarre and
outlandish, and there isn't time enough in the world to extract my meaning
from the jumble... If I did, you would rejumble and the attempt to
rescue my meaning would become a lifetime job.

However, I think it might be useful nevertheless to note that words do
have meanings, and if we don't respect those meanings, "discussion" turns
to flailing. Was it the White Queen or the Red Duchess who said "words
mean what I say they mean"? Whichever, that was intended as satire not a
recommendation.

In reality, the ability to share, understand, and communicate meanings is
crucial to civilization. I note again, therefore, that to be *unequal* is
not the same as to be *oppressed.* If a woman is passed over for a
promotion, for instance, she may still have a good job & a nice life.
Given the meaning of the word, she is not "oppressed." Still, she is not
equal.

There is a lot of talking and claiming that women are *equal* in our
culture, but by many measures, including their longevity as movie stars
and their authority as news anchors (which I chose because they're so
obvious and so unequal), they are not. There are other measures that show
much the same thing -- for instance, 60% of the entering class at a major
school of journalism the year my daughter went there was female, and the
numbers elsewhere are similar still... yet female front page bylines are
rare. Sunday's Times has one out of six.

Women enter medical school in larger numbers than ever, but how many chief
residents are women? How many surgical residents (the highest paying most
prestigious)? In fact, when women enter a profession, or a medical
specialty, in large numbers, prestige & pay traditionally go down.

This is merely to point out, at 3:40 AM, some of the indices. And the
reason? Lots of reasons -- read Freud for some apt and excellent
commentary for instance. More explicity, look up a book called Gender
Advertisements, by Erving Goffman, circa 1973: It showed how women were
then portrayed in advertising, contrasting each pose with a related, but
more dignified, "power pose" of a man, often in the same ad. Can anyone
doubt that women are portrayed more erotically now than in the '70s? You
think this has no effect? Who could imagine that billion dollar
corporations spend billions and trillions to -- what, fill air time?
Support magazines out of the kindness of their hearts?

The pervasive display of women as erotic stereotype, whether in underwear
ads, car advertising, or "high art," not only affects their status, it
illustrates it... a self-reinforcing cycle. To repeat: in our culture
the people in power wear clothes.

I note also, tho I probably shouldn't, that you seem to want to make a
distinction between advertising and "fine art"... apparently unaware that
much fine art is a response in some manner to the media culture. But such
a distinction is not possible in any event... It's a continuum, not
either/or. So after the matter of defining "fine art," then justifying the
attempt to make such a distinction, you want to say there's no effect of
fine art imagery on our consciousness? Probably not, it being all too
feeble much of the time --- still, we can but try...

But I'm wondering, why should we try to distinguish between advertising
and fine art? Because fine art is on a higher plane? Purer? More
intellectual? And anyway, they're not naked ladies in fine art, rather a
neutral art convention? I can't believe you said that.

Judy