Re: A creamy finish

From: Richard Knoppow (dickburk@ix.netcom.com)
Date: 08/26/02-07:49:46 PM Z

At 09:15 PM 08/26/2002 -0400, you wrote:
> I have warmed used a warm water bath of more than 110 degrees F but who
>would have thought of whipped cream? I'll try it. Thanks. -----
>Original Message ----- From: Jack Fulton To:
>alt-photo-process-l@sask.usask.ca

> Sent: Monday, August 26, 2002
>8:18 PM Subject: A creamy finish
>
>>A couple of hints here:
>> warm the emulsion in a water bath to about 110ºF and it will 'flow'
>>around easier. By tilting the plate you should
>> be able to obtain a smooth and even coverage. With care you
>>might allow some to drip off a corner back into your
>> container.
>>
>> Add a few drops of heavy whipping cream to your mixture. This makes
>>for a much smoot her coating procedure. If
>> you think this is weird, it came from the Jobo newsletter a few
>>years back. If you wish, I can go to my archives
>> and try to resuscitate the directions .. but go for it. I'd say,
>>from memory, to try about 1/4 teaspoon for an 8x10
>> just to give you an idea.
>>
>>Jack Fulton
>>

>>Nothing as interesting as when is porn porn, the meaning of postmo
>>dernism,weston's peppers and the value of contemplating women's
>>breasts. Just a mundane inquiry: I am trying to coat the metal
>>plates supplied by Rockaloid with Ag Plus emulsion. They recommend
>>pouring a small puddle onto the middle of the 4x5 plate and moaving the
>> plate around so the stuff is distributed, and using a finger to push
>>it toward the corners if necessary. Using a finger doesn't work at
>>all for me-- and I am not getting anything resemble even coating
>>although the emulsion is liquified as per ins tructions.I've tried a
>>foam brush an d hake brush too, with very messy results. I'm new to
>>liquid emulsions -- are some better than AG Plus for working on
>>metal? or paper? All responses much appreciated.
>>Also -- could someone reind me about how one accesses the list's
>>arch ives? Thanks.
>>Margery

  I wonder if the whipping cream works because of some emulsifier in it.
Whipping cream usually has a bunch of stuff in it to thicken it and to act
as an emulsifier. I wonder if the emulsifier would be more effective if
added directly to the emulsion.
  I also wonder about coating using the technique suggested for wet plates,
that is pouring at one corner and allowing the emulsion to flow over the
surface the excess draining from the opposite corner.

----
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@ix.netcom.com