Re: The Pictorial Nude and Pictorialism Generally

From: Carl Weese (cweese@earthlink.net)
Date: 08/29/02-05:51:55 PM Z

> Wasn't Garry Winogrand the
> one who said he took pictures to see what something looks like
> photographed?

And A.D. Coleman very perceptively pointed out that what Garry should have
said was that he wanted to see what something looked like when photographed
by Garry Winogrand.

> It's all relative... Fast for a bicycle isn't same as fast for a racing
> car.

That's really my point as well. I said the view camera can't be as fast as a
Leica, which is why I'll never sell my Leicas. With practice using one can
become instantaneous (I talked about this in a magazine article I wrote back
in 1995--amazingly, I still get fan mail from it). My point is that people
overemphasize the gap between what you can do with a small hand camera and
what you can do with a large camera on a tripod. Instant response is the
realm of the small hand camera. Quick response doesn't rule out the big
camera.

---Carl