Re: The Natural Order of Things

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 08/29/02-05:53:57 PM Z

On Thu, 29 Aug 2002 ARTHURWG@aol.com wrote:

> Just a thought, but isn't it possible that the power relationships between
> men and women are dictated by the "natural order of things"? Isn't it also
> possible that "the gaze" that so many feminist theoreticans seem to detest
> is an intrensic part of the human model? Arthur

My impression is it's not "the gaze" itself that's "detested" -- after all
that's part of what perpetuates the human race. I think the problem is
that our art and media -- movies, photography, painting, etc. even
advertising, have been determined by that "male gaze." They ARE it, or
have been.

What's troubling isn't that men like to look at women, naked or not, but
that this male "gaze" at women has, willy nilly, been the format of so
much of our visual media. Diane... what's her name, anybody got it?
wrote about that in the SPE magazine exposure, long long ago... That she'd
identified with Weston and Callahan, & co, photographing "their" women,
then one day she decided not to any more.

I'll think of her name eventually.

J.